About Me

My photo
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
"Jack of all (sports), Master of none!"

05 July 2015

Sri Chinmoy Off-road Duathlon: short course...

awoke to a very foggy and chilly morning...

headed down to the start/finish near the ACTEWAGL substation at the end of Frith Road...

checked in, signed the waiver and collected my number (#703) before heading back to the car to unload my bike...

bikes and helmets were checked upon entry to the transition area as per standard Triathlon Australia rules...I just had to make some minor adjustments to my helmet straps before I was good to go...

chatted to Ewen and Geoff B before the start as we all tried to warm up...

the long course got underway just after 10am and we had to wait for them to complete their first run leg (3.3k) before the short course could start...

we started at 10:28...the first run leg through the Botanic Gardens was shorter than advertised (2k) and it would seem we ran even shorter today (~111m) as we were directed along the dotted line on the bottom right of the map instead of the actual course...I think the actual distance is closer to 1.5k...

I struggled to underdo my shoelaces to make the change to my bike shoes (note, to self switch to running shoes which have the elastic laces!) as my fingers were frozen...transition took about 2mins (it felt longer)...

the bike leg was hard work and I had to jump off the bike a couple of times for uphills as I either lost momentum or was in the wrong gear!...the track was slippery in places due to being fairly dry...

at least my fingers were warmed up by the end and I made a pretty slick transition for the second run leg...about 1min this time...

the first part of the run was uphill and slow going...I got passed by one runner at the top but then I passed one as well in the back half...this leg was also shorter than advertised (2.35k instead of 2.5k)...

it was good fun...

the stats:
start temp/humidity: 0.9/99
finish temp/humidity: 1.5/99
total time: 55:30
total distance: 10.75
first run: 7:09 / 1.37k
TA1: ~2:00
cycle: 30:40 / 7.03k
TA2: ~1:00
second run: 15:15 / 2.35k

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Yeah, good fun despite the cold. Wish duathlon was a spring or autumn sport - and more off road duathlons. My first transition was slow 'cause my frozen fingers wouldn't work my helmet buckle.