About Me

My photo
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
"Jack of all (sports), Master of none!"

27 February 2010

Long run followed by an early mark


arrived at Molonglo Reach at about 6:40am - light enough to see the misty fog rising from the lake...

we started off a little late, just after 7am...Chris, Graeme & Mary Ann heading east, Steve & friend heading north and my group of Ewen, Ruth, Andy & Jen heading west...

a pit stop was made near the Carillon - I kept running backwards and forwards on the bike path as I wanted to run continuously today....

I grabbed drinks at the various bubblers we passed along the way except the one near Commonwealth Ave bridge is missing the levers!

not long after passing the fairy terminal, Ruth asked me about geocaching and that conversation lasted a good 10ks I reckon!

Pam, Kerrie & Liz passed us going the other way near the turnaround point for the Sri Chinmoy 10k...

another pit stop was made near the yacht club, this time I did a couple of laps of the car park...

Liz joined us not long after - boy she goes quick!

I was quite happy keeping pace with Ruth at the back of the pack - the others waited in various spots for us to catch up before moving on...

we had to detour at the wetlands because the main footbridge is being upgraded...that was a little adventure in itself...we headed off on another trail then had to cross the smaller of the two railway bridges which was basically a trestle bridge...Ewen & Liz were ahead of us at this stage as Ruth was having a little trouble negotiating said bridge...then after climbing up out of the gully we headed the wrong way before being directed by Ewen from afar...

I demonstrated how not to avoid rabbit holes by stepping in one up to mid-calf then, after descending into another steep gully, I promptly trod on a piece of metal and proceeded to gouge the calf on the same leg...the ascent out of that gully was a bit trickier but we all survived and headed to Dairy Flat Rd without too much more trouble (just a fence to climb through) before it was back onto the bike path for the final leg back to Molonglo Reach...

I elected to stop the clock at 3hrs30mins (I was only meant to be running for 3hrs15mins) and walked the remaining 800m or so....

the stats:
start temp/humidity: 12.5/92% (rising to 23.0/50%)
start time: 7:08am
total distance: 31.21
total time: 3:30:00
avg pace: 6:43
total calories: 1371
avg HR*: 143

*Time spent in HR Zones:
00:23 [Z1: 93-111]
07:22 [Z2: 111-130]
173:58 [Z3: 130-148]
23:09 [Z4: 148-167]
02:10 [Z5: 167-185]

negotiating the detour when we got to the railway bridge and then finally being able to run easily again probably took about seven and a half minutes, covering nearly 400m....so I guess my actual "run" was probably more like 30.82k in 3:23 (6:35 pace)...it definitely helped to have running company (thanks guys!) for the run as I felt much better from 2hrs on than I have done for my last few longer runs...

after a drink and a grape (or 30, thanks Ewen!), I left the others heading to their coffee destination to go home...

managed to watch nearly the whole first half of the Caps/Sydney final on the ABC before heading to baseball...

we had another big win with the mercy rule coming in after 4 innings when we lead 26-1....nice to have an early mark (I was starting get cramps in my feet)...we've got one more round match next week (we have a bye in the last round) where a win will practically guarantee a finals spot...

back home we watched the tape of the second half of the Caps/Sydney match (Go Caps!) over a nice dinner and now I'm ready for a rest!

2 comments:

strewth said...

Phew - that was a great overview - we did well I reckon. Thank you for helping me negotiate that scary see-through bridge - I may have still been standing on the other side of it freaking out otherwise!!

Ewen said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll make it a point to "find" that cache under the wooden bridge one day ;) Thanks for sticking with Ruth and helping her on the high wire. Otherwise it might have been a swim leg to get home!

I reckon 6:30s sounds right if you take out the adventure bit. I stopped my watch for the few hundred metres of the dump and got 6:13s for the running bit. The small bits with Liz were well under 6s. I think she sent Jen to bed for the rest of the weekend. Might steal your map for my next post. That's a long run!