About Me

My photo
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
"Jack of all (sports), Master of none!"

20 September 2009

Sydney Half Marathon Report

this one won't contain too many stats as the 310XT was being uncooperative!...apparently this is an issue at the moment with a lot of users...

travelled up yesterday morning - was meant to leave at 9am but the flight was delayed until 11:15am...we actually got onboard at the right time, taxied out then had to taxi back and disembark...some engineering issue!

mind you I'd raced to the airport - had to divert from Majura Rd due to a fatal accident then had to take another detour due to roadworks on Fairbairn Av...parked in just about the furthest spot away from the terminal and had to run in, making it with 3mins to spare...!

had to bus in to Central (maintenance on the airport rail line) then caught the train to Circular Quay to pick up the race kit...a much much quicker process than last year...then I elected to walk to my hotel (Rydges North Sydney) which was quite pleasant...

attended Gordon's training session at Chatswood Oval - ended up doing some bowling (feeling it in the shoulder now!)...watched the Bledisloe Cup game at Kirribilli Hotel while eating an early dinner...

up at 5:20am and down to the start by 6am...

pretty cool to have John Farrington as the starter - he was the "face" for this year's finishers medals...

started off well enough...4:59, 4:41, 4:40...everything seemed to be going ok...pressed "lap" for the 5k marker (~24:37) and the 310XT stopped recording!...tried a few other button presses before turning it off then on again...it returned to where it had stopped and pressing "start" this time re-started the timer...all this took about 2mins or so...

a couple of k markers seemed out of place (definitely the 13k one)...but it didn't matter as I couldn't get my legs to go any faster anyway!

Tesso and Johnny Dark passed me after 3k, Craig D after 6k and Ewen after 10k...I got cheerios from them all as well!

1:50:56 was my gun time and 1:50:48 was my chip time...my slowest HM for 2009 (1:54 slower than last year on this course)...I think the lack of running in the past two weeks showed (plus the travelling!)...

6610 finishers
gun place: 1964th; net place: 2430th

2811 females
gun place: 358th; net place: 501st

545 34-39 females
gun place: 71st; net place: 103rd

3 comments:

strewth said...

Great report - well done especially so soon after Disney! I was caught in that traffic jam to the airport too trying to collect Mr B - I was a tad late!

speedygeoff said...

The first marathon I ever ran, John Farrington won in 2:11, daylight second. 2:11 is an amazing time for a totally solo run at Richmond. I saw him for a few seconds of his unbelievably fast start before he disappeared into the distance. I had run with John back in the sixties a few times when he was on staff at Flinders Uni and I was a student there.

Ewen said...

I never thought I'd catch you. Saw you walking to the start from our room. Missed you at the Kirribilli - we were there too.

Yes, just the travel and lack of training - easily fixed.

The worst thing about both our runs was getting beaten by Antonia Kidman!