About Me

My photo
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
"Jack of all (sports), Master of none!"

11 March 2010

Adler, run & won...

by Ruth!

Tonight was the eighth and last event of the Adler Spiral series for 2009/10. The best six events counted for each individual and only four women were eligible to win - Ruth, Sherryl, Helen (if she ran) and me.

Ruth (240, 7 events) held a 14pt lead over me (226, 7 events) with Sherryl (223, 6 events) and Helen (186, 5 events) not far behind...

Sherryl didn't show so it was down to the three of us...Ruth started in Group 33, a start of 2:25 ahead of Helen and me in Group 43...Ruth had a 500m lead by the time we started and the gap proved impossible to bridge...Ruth finished 7th, 17secs ahead of Helen (17th) and 48secs ahead of me (24th)...yet again I ran a PB (12:53) to no avail!

edit: forgot to add final point score!
  • Ruth 252
  • me 226
  • Sherryl 223
  • Helen 221
Ruth really deserves her win as she's been running particularly well over the last few events in the series...I think she likes being chased (or running scared!)...and chasing Ruth has seen me run four consecutive PBs in the second half of this series (and five in total for the series)!

I started the series in Group 41 and finished in Group 43 (although after tonight's run I am back to 41 for next season)...Ruth started in 32 and finished in 33 (although she'll be in 34 to start next season!)...Helen started in 42 and finished in 43...

Ruth's best finish was tonight's 7th (she had two other Top 10 finishes - 10th in the first 6 Lap, 8th in the second 4 Lap)...my best was 6th (second 4 Lap), my only Top 10 finish...Helen had a best of 4th (second 6 Lap), also her only Top 10 finish...

unfortunately the men's section was won by someone who played the handicaps (and, even worse, admitted doing so)...

Event #1 - starts in Group 1
#2 - starts in 1, (5th across the line, finishes 3rd in the points) moves to 4
#3 - starts in 4, moves to 5
#4 - starts in 5, (7th, 6th) moves to 9
#5 - starts in 9, (finishes last) moves to 1
#6 - starts in 1, (1st, 1st) moves to 11
#7 - starts in 11, (finishes last) moves to 1
#8 - starts in 1, (1st, 1st) will start next season in 10


Dale put up a great fight to only finish 2pts behind...the men had 12 eligible to win...

I'd much rather come second (or third, or fourth, or...) trying to get the best possible result in each event of a series than win with that sort of reputation...

3 comments:

Nadine said...

Couldn't agree more with you Bronwyn! Was great to watch a real tussle in the women's event where all the runners had been giving it their all in every race - not just selectively. Pity to see the men's event manipulated and won in such a way...

Two Fruits said...

Well done to you both. Only way to run is to do your best every time. No excuses, turn the tables on Sunday at the half.

strewth said...

Wow Bron, that was a terrific report and very flattering to "moi" - thank you for your kind words.You were my motivator in this series and I was just so over the moon to actually win the pointscore, especially when you kept on running PBs! Thank you so much for making me run scared! Looks like a challenge awaits next season!